Expert advice on Life Insurance, Mortgages and Wills in Northern Ireland
Covering counties Antrim, Down, Armagh, Derry-Londonderry, Fermanagh and Tyrone
Call our Newry office for 'No obligation' advice on 02830 252455
Should i appoint Guardians? Talk to us now 028 30252455

Should I appoint Guardians in my Will?

If your children are still under the age of 18, it is important that you consider who might take
care of them in the event of your death.

A Guardian or Guardians coud be appointed to act on your death or only once you and your partner have both passed away. A guardian will assume responsibilty for decisions affecting your childrens day-to-day care.  It is imperative that you seek consent before appointing a Guardian.

If you and your partner are unmarried and have children then if the father is not on the children's birth certificate then the mother of the children will need to appoint the father as her first choice of guardian as, under the current law, he does not have any automatic rigts to the children if she passes away.

If you have children over the age of 18 while one or more are under 18 then you can appoint an older child as guardian of the younger.   

Will writing is not part of the Openwork offering and is offered in our own right. Openwork Limited accepts no responsibility for this aspect of our business. Will Writing is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Sugar Island Financial advice Will writing News items

What is a Will?

Should i appoint guardians?

Can i change my Will?

How to make a Will

Writing a Will guide

How to write a Will

Have you written a DIY Will

Why you should consider Writing a Will


appoint Guardians
appoint guardians in my Will enquire now
The information on this website is subject to the UK regulatory regime and therefore targeted at consumers based in the UK.